Saturday, January 8, 2011

BOOK REVIEW #4

4297733
Osanna's review
Jan 08, 11  · 

1 of 5 stars


There are plenty of books out there in the world to read. And as a student who is a constant reader and will put her nose into ALL genres of books, the Great Gatsby would honestly not be my first choice. Yes, I love classical books, like Oliver Twist, Animal Farm...etc, but the Great Gatsby just did not snag my attention at all.
See, there are a couple of reasons why I did not like the Great Gatsby. This book has to do with the American Dream, and different views of how people see it, and in this book, it seemed as if every single character was self-centered and cared only about their own thoughts. This book is not a very good influence to an extent. Seemed very selfish, but again, that's my opinion.
One other reason is that, I can catch a plot very quickly, it comes naturally, but since this book kind of bored me, and I was not interested, I didn't catch on fast. I didn't pay attention to who was who, and sort of didn't care. And if you are a reader, and that's what happens, then obviously something is wrong with the book.
There were a couple of parts that were interesting like trying to figure out Nick's mysterious neighbor, Jay Gatsby, and when Nick, Jordan, and Tom drove through the Valley of Ashes, but that was about it. I mean, when they stated that Gatsby's fortune was made illegally, just kind of made me upset. Does the rich person always have to get the money from something illegal? And does someone always have to be murdered? I couldn't find anything worth reading about.
The book just seemed so selfish, shooting others because they were upset. Getting jealous because one person fell in love with the person you are currently in love with, having to be with the "in crowd", this book is proof that sometimes the wealthy can be just as stupid as the average American. There's really no difference. The Great Gatsby just talks about how the American Dream is also destroyed by money and wealth. We're being torn apart by power hungry people.
So if you enjoy reading books that have to do with being obsessed with power, than this book is for you. But if you do not like cliched books than this book is not for you. Out of five stars I would give this book a one.
 
 

1 comment: